By Jesse Wood
April 23, 2013. Venture Properties VII of out of North Wilkesboro applied for a building permit on March 19 to construct a Dollar General beside the Quality Plus gas station on U.S. 421 in Vilas, according to documents filed at the Watauga County Planning & Inspections department.
The size of the one-story building proposed is 9,100 square feet and 18-feet high. The proposed contractor is WIMCO Corporation out of Washington, N.C., and the cost of construction is estimated to be $410,000.
The building permit has not been issued as of April 23, yet grading of 1.5 acres of property recently began. Grading costs are estimated to be $100,000, and Eggers Construction out of Banner Elk is the grading contractor, according to the grading application filed with WCP&I.
Representatives of Dollar General and Venture Properties VII were not reached as of press time.
Currently, there is a Dollar General in Boone and another in Banner Elk.
According to Dollar General’s website, this is what the company looks for in a potential new location:
- Located along retail corridor with good traffic
- High visibility
- Full ingress and egress
- Shopping center and freestanding opportunities considered
- Median household income – Less than $75,000
- Trade area population – At least 4,500
Build to Suit Program
- 9,100 sf building
- 70′ x 135′ prototype design
- Customer friendly parking (minimum 30)
- Building and pylon signage
- Accessible truck delivery (53′ trailer)