June 12, 2014. Tour De Art 2014, the original High Country gallery and studio tour, kicks off the summer season on Saturday, June 28 at 9 a.m. In its sixth year, Tour De Art is a monthly event where artists open their studios to the public and galleries hold special art events. Joining charter Tour de Art Locations (Alta Vista Gallery, Carlton Gallery, Kevin Beck Studio, Linville River Pottery, Sally Nooney Studio and Gallery and the Studio of Mike Hill) is Studio 140.
Studio 140 is a contemporary art gallery and open studio featuring nature and portrait artwork where visitors can see live painting demonstrations by Kent Paulette (a.k.a. Derfla). Studio 140 also features work by Bolivian-born action painter David Banega and fine art photographs by the internationally acclaimed Benjamin Walls.
Also new to the Tour de Art, Mike Hill will be featuring recent Giclees of vintage comic art master studies by local hometown artist Anthony Coffey. Although Coffey currently resides in Manhattan, he was born and raised right here in the High Country, attending Watauga High School and Appalachian State University. His work is featured in the Saachi Galleries in New York City and a profile of the artist’s accomplishments can be found on Wikipedia.
Coffey’s new Wildflowers Fine Art Editions giclee reproductions are of his painstakingly painted master study recreations of vintage comic book covers such as Batman #1 and #4, Amazing Spiderman #3, X-Men #19 and many more. These iconic pop art creations are sure to be a hit for the comic enthusiast on your list. The artist will be greeting guests on June 28 at ArtPurveyors World Headquarters in Foscoe.
The current Tour de Art lineup is as follows:
- Alta Vista Gallery: In its 24th year, Alta Vista Gallery is on the National Register of Historic Places and features fine art and crafts in all media by more than 200 artists with large selections of local mountain landscapes. The gallery is located at 2839 Broadstone Rd. in Valle Crucis between the Mast Farm Inn and the Mast Store Annex. For more information call 828-963-5247.
- Carlton Gallery: Carlton Gallery is one of the most established fine art galleries in North Carolina featuring a spirited collection of artwork in a casually elegant atmosphere. Celebrating 32 years of paintings, sculpture, glass, wood, clay, fiber and jewelry by local and regional artists, the gallery hosts solo and group exhibitions along with workshops by gallery artists. Carlton Gallery is located at 10360 N.C. 105 in Banner Elk. For more information cal 828-963-4288.
- Kevin Beck Studio: Browse soulful paintings of the Blue Ridge and interact with this plein air painter in his studio. Kevin Beck Studio is located at 1590 Shulls Mill Rd. in Boone. For more information call 828-963-1181.
- Patti-Connor-Green Linville RIver Pottery: This gallery is a clay studio and gallery featuring kickwheel demos by Patti Connor-Greene and handmade stonewear and porcelain teapots, bowls, vases, mugs and jewelry. Also featured with be fabric art and felting by Virginia Greene. The gallery is located at 2180 Goose Hollow Rd. in Pineola. For more information call 828-387-1944.
- Sally Nooney Gallery: The Sally Nooney Gallery is features original paintings in oil, watercolor and acrylic along with fun functional and sculptural pieces in glass and one of a kind jewelry. Commissions are invited. The gallery is located at 7137 N.C. 194 in South Banner Elk. For more information call 828-963-7347.
- Studio of Mike Hill and ArtPurveyors World HQ: Check out Mike’s latest political cartoons, paintings and graphic design. Since 1989, the studio has offed fine art publishing, creative services, fine giclee prints, art-o-mat, a frame shop and a full line of paint, brushes, paper and fine art supplies. The studio is located at 112 Aldridge Park. For more information call 828-963-7246.
- Studio 140: Studio 140 is a contemporary art gallery and open studio featuring nature and portrait artwork. See live painting demonstrations by Kent Paulette using uninhibited, energetic brush strokes. The featured work will be pieces by Bolivian-born action painter David Banega and fine art photographs by the internationally acclaimed Benjamin Walls. The studio is located next door to Sorrento’s at 14- Azalea Circle in Banner Elk. For more information call 828-781-5707.