Feb. 17, 2014. It was a time when pants were made out of parachutes, ski clothes featured shoulder pads, rock stars wore spandex and video killed the radio star.
That’s right – we’re talking the 1980s, a decade celebrated each February with the Totally 80s Retro Ski Weekend at Beech Mountain.
This year’s annual trip back in time takes place Feb. 21-23 with a litany of 80s themed activities. The fun includes live 80s bands Friday and Saturday nights; appearances by the Carolina Ghostbusters; the ever-popular Totally Retro Apparel Contest; and the inaugural Mile-High Moonwalk Contest.
The fun actually starts on Thursday night with a retro karaoke party at Famous Fast Eddie’s. Then on Friday, an eighties Buick rolls into town as rockers Buick MacKane play an all-retro show at the Mile High Tavern. During intermission Friday evening, attendees will showcase some Thriller footwork in hopes of winning $150 in the first ever Mile-High Moonwalk Contest.
Saturday night at the ski resort, The Breakfast Club – which bills itself as “America’s favorite 1980s Tribute Band” plays the Beech Tree Lodge, where one bodacious dresser will capture $500 in the Totally Retro Apparel Contest.
During the day Friday, Saturday and Sunday, the slopes will be filled with skiers decked out in 1980s ski garb. Saturday also includes a banked slalom contest with an old school DJ.
The Carolina Ghostbusters, complete with their vintage Ectomobile, return for a second straight year to make appearances in town and the ski village.
“A year ago they came, they saw, they kicked it old school. So, we’re quite pleased to have the Carolina Ghostbusters back again this February,” said Amy Morrison of the Beech Mountain Tourism Development Authority.”
As always, Reaganomics will be in full effect with 80s themed specials on lodging, meals and ski rentals throughout town.
So dig out those dayglo ski clothes from the New Wave era, wax up those 210s and enjoy a ski slope time machine weekend on Beech Mountain.
The schedule of events is as follows:
Thursday, Feb. 20
- 8-11 p.m. – 80s Karaoke Party at Famous Fast Eddie’s featuring 80s music, 20 percent off menu items and $2 domestic beers
Friday, Feb. 21
- 7-8:30 p.m. – Carolina Ghostbusters at Famous Fast Eddie’s featuring meet and greet with the Ghostbusters and photos with Ecto-1
- 9 p.m.-Midnight – Buick MacKane at Mile High Tavern featuring an all-80s show from rockers Buick MacKane
- 10:30 p.m. – Mile-High Moonwalk Contest at Mile High Tavern
Saturday, Feb. 22
- 9 a.m.-5 p.m. – Skiing and snowboarding at Beech Mountain Resort (be sure to wear your 80s ski clothes!)
- All afternoon – Carolina Ghostbusters at the resort
- 1 p.m. – Beech Mountain Banked Slalom contest
- 5-9 p.m. – Night Skiing and snowboarding at Beech Mountain
- 7 p.m. until… – The Breakfast Club at Beech Tree (America’s favorite 1980s tribute band!)
- 8:30 p.m. – Retro 80s Apparel Contest at Beech Tree ($500 first place!)
Sunday, Feb. 23
- 9 a.m.-5 p.m. – Skiing and snowboarding at Beech Mountain (Wear your 80s ski clothes!)
For details and lodging specials, visit www.beechmnt.com or call 1-800-468-5506.