By Jessica Isaacs
Friends, neighbors and local entrepreneurs convened at the Boone Mall on Thursday to celebrate the holiday season with the Boone Area Chamber of Commerce. The chamber hosted the Christmas edition of its popular “business after hours” events, which included food, music, fellowship and the distribution of its annual architectural awards.
Live entertainment included performances by the Carolina Snowbelles dance troupe, the Holy Cross Handbell Choir and the Watauga Community Band. Holiday food samplings and other refreshments were provided by sponsors including Subway, Appalachia Cookie Company, Lowes Foods, Bald Guy Brew, Gadabouts Catering, Stick Boy Bread Co. and Primo’s.
Local business owners and folks from the community had time to network, get to know each other and make new connections.
In addition to the food and festivities, the chamber announced the recipients of its annual architectural awards. Listed below are the award winners and the qualities of each that stood out to the chamber this year:
Multi-Family Housing: 494 The Lofts on King Street/The Winkler Organization
- An innovative building on a very narrow lot
- Achieved numerous design objectives with limited ingress/egress for both pedestrian and vehicular access
- Solid use of materials blending in with typical Boone architecture
- Fulfilled regulations for both residential and commercial use
- Maximized space
- Meets a growing demand for urban residences
- Features Barefoot Campus Outfitters on the retail level
New Construction – Small Commercial: Bubbles Car Wash on U.S. Highway 421 E
- Good positioning on frontage lot
- Good landscaping and well placed buffers
- Good use of materials for a natural look
- Well laid out ingress and egress for vehicular traffic
- Great options for a great car wash
New Construction – Small Commercial: Bojangles on U.S. Highway 421 E
- Good landscaping and buffers
- Nice use of materials with stone and brick, going from typical to complimentary
- Good traffic pattern from access road
Most Improved – Large: Blue Ridge Electric Membership Corp.
- Wonderful use of building materials including stone, shingle siding
- Complimentary metal roofing creating an attractive new façade on entire building
- Good landscaping adds to overall appeal
- Created a heated garage and wonderful community room
Adaptive Re-Use of Existing Space: Griff Gilbert, LCSW, LCAS, BCD
- Excellent use of materials to complete this innovative re-use
- Great example of how an old building can be re-invented, setting a design standard for others to follow on Howard Street
- Terrific design inside and out
For more information about this and other business after hours events, call 828-264-2225 or visit www.boonechamber.com.
Photos courtesy of the Boone Chamber: