1000 x 90

Minor Electrical Fire at Troy’s 105 Diner Wednesday Morning, Will Be Open Thursday for Breakfast

Owner Sandra Byrum and a roof technician evaluate the damage of the fire that the opening-shift employees found entering Troy’s Diner on Wednesday morning. Photos by Ken Ketchie

By Jesse Wood

April 9, 2014. Troy’s 105 Diner is closed today after suffering a minor electrical fire, but owner Sandy Byrum said that Troy’s will be “up and running” first thing on Thursday to serve breakfast.

“It looked a lot worse than it was,” Byrum said, adding that she initially “panicked” when she pulled into the restaurant’s driveway and saw the fire on the hotel side of the eatery.

Before Byrum and the fire units arrived, two opening shift employees walked into Troy’s 105 Diner at dawn to a restaurant full of smoke on Wednesday morning.

The employees immediately opened the doors, turned on the vents and called the Boone Fire Department. By the time fire units arrived, three-foot high flames were flaring from the top of the roof.

Byrum added that a permit has been issued for repairs. She also said the health department stopped by as well but didn’t have any issues because there was no interior damage.

“I am just glad nobody was hurt,” said Byrum, who was in good spirits – all things considered – and added that she “appreciated all of the phone calls and good wishes” from members of the community.

As Byrum said, Troy’s 105 Diner will open Thursday morning – just as it is every morning.

Troy’s Diner is open 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday; and 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday. For more information, click here, call 828-265-1344 or stop by the restaurant, located at 286 N.C. 105 in Boone.  

To read a business profile about the locally-owned independent restaurant, click here.


The fire was on the "hotel side" of Troy's Diner.
The fire was on the “hotel side” of Troy’s Diner.