By Jesse Wood
May 22, 2014. The deadline to submit bid proposals to install single-head parking meters for the Town of Boone is Friday, May 23, at 2 p.m.
In September 2013, the Town of Boone – after a recommendation from the Downtown Boone Development Association – approved a motion to install pay stations at lots on Depot and King streets and single- and double-metered smart meters, which accept coins and credit cards, at parking spaces along the streets of downtown Boone.
The installation of these meters was estimated to cost about $215,000, while annual revenue from the parking was estimated to be nearly $250,000 annually.
The Town of Boone manages 213 parking spaces. Currently 21 single-space meters are in place and will need to be removed and replaced with the new smart meters, according to the scope of the project in the bid application. By preliminary counts, the Town of Boone will need 144 single-head meters and 34 double-head meters. The open is currently just for single-metered parking.
According to the bid application, the goals of the “purchase and implementation” of the new system are:
- Support business districts by encouraging turnover and relieving congestion
- Improved customer service
- Reduced violations
- Improved accounting, reconciliation and audit of meter receipts
- Improved integration with violation appeals process
- An improved backend software programming allowing real-time access to meter availability, status maintenance issues, receipts collected and violations issued
So, where will metered parking be when it is installed later in the year?
See listing and maps below:
- Single metered along Linney Street beside Post Office
- Double and single meters along West King Street in front of Post Office and Melanie’s
- Single meters along West King Street from Water to Straight streets (in front of courthouse)
- Single meters along West King Street from College to Appalachian streets (near Capone’s Pizza)
- Double and single meters along Howard Street
- Single-metered along South and North Depot streets (from old High Country Press building to Beasley Media Complex)
- Single and double meters on West King Street from Depot to Water streets
- Single and double meters on West King Street from Appalachian to Depot streets.
Check out images of where the metered parking will take place below. Click images to enlarge.
*Blue Dot – Double-head meters