by Madison Fisler Lewis
Sept. 2, 2014. Yesterday, The Dande Lion in Banner Elk officially launched the “Breast Buddies” fundraiser campaign to help raise money for the Wilma J. Redmond Fund, which benefits breast cancer patients. The fundraiser involves 14 bras set up inside the shop that were decorated by local businesses and organizations. Participants can vote for their favorite bra by placing donations in the container designated for their favorite.
Even on the first day after unveiling, the competition has garnered quite a bit of attention.
“We had done one bra as a sample and for photo shoots and it sort of started off right then,” said owner Jane Deavers. “People started donating money once they heard the story, we have already collected almost $700! Several people came for the unveiling and we are just getting wonderful feedback. We had all of the bras covered up in the beginning and people kept asking questions and donating.”
The contest will take place throughout the entire month of September, and a donation will be made on Oct. 1 to the Wilma J. Redmond Fund just in time for the kickoff of National Breast Cancer Awareness month.
“It all started because my long time friend, who also works here at the Dande Lion, was diagnosed with breast cancer,” Deavers said in a previous interview.
“We have been friends for 43 years and so we named it ‘Breast Buddies’ because we are best buddies. Linda is a pretty amazing person and I wanted to do something that honored her and what a strong woman she is.”
Linda Vana was diagnosed with breast cancer in early June and finished her treatments on Thursday, Aug. 27. Vana is now on the road to recovery.
The participating businesses and organizations are as follows:
- Avery County Health Department – Don’t Gamble! Get Your Mammogram
- Bella’s – Bella’s “Girls” Fight Against Breast Cancer
- Erick’s Cheese and Wine – It’s a Good Year to Cluster for a Cure
- Flora Ottimer Children’s Boutique – Dancing for a Cure
- Grandfather Vineyard and Winery – Uncorked!
- Lowe’s Grocery – We Love Boo-Bees. Big and Small, Save Them All
- Mountain Community Bank (a division of Bank of Tennessee) – Currency for a Cure
- Northern Parker Interiors – Designing for a Cure
- Seby B. Jones Cancer Center Radiation Oncology – “Treat” Your Boobies Right
- Tatum Galleries and Interiors – Trim the Ta Tas at Tatum’s
- The Dande Lion, Inc – The Dande Lion Roars Against Breast Cancer
- Thelma’s Things – Hunting for the Cure
- Watauga Medical Center Radiology – Waging War Against Breast Cancer
“The support has just been incredible,” Deavers said. “Breast cancer has touched so many live sand we are just overwhelmed by the response so far.”
For more information about the Wilma Redmond Foundation, please visit www.apprhs.org. For more information regarding the “Breast Buddies” fundraiser at The Dande Lion, please contact Linda or Jane at 828-898-3566. The Dande Lion is located at The Shoppes at Tynecastle at 4501 Tynecastle Highway in Banner Elk.