Feb. 3, 2015. The Blowing Rock Chamber of Commerce”s Annual Awards Ceremony and Luncheon will be held on Tuesday, Feb. 10, at the Green Park Inn. Registration and networking will begin at 11:30 a.m. and the program will start at noon. The cost is $25 per person or $185 for corporate tables of eight.
This year the presenting sponsor of the awards ceremony is Piedmont Federal Savings Bank of Boone, North Carolina. For over 100 years, Piedmont Federal”s goal has been a simple one: to help people become homeowners and save for life”s needs. Their overall focus is on sound financial solutions and personalized customer service.
“Piedmont Federal is honored to support the Annual Awards Luncheon, where so many individuals and businesses in the Blowing Rock area have made such a positive impact. A key component of our mission is to nurture a better quality of life for our communities and this event recognizes all of those who work so hard to make our community so outstanding,” said Susan M. Norris, Business Development Manager, High Country Region of Piedmont Federal Savings Bank.
Also, for the first time in the Chamber’s history, nominations and voting were conducted via an online survey/ballot. The three businesses or individuals in each category with the most nominations, and approved by the Membership Committee, advanced as the official nominees of their category. An online ballot was then distributed encouraging members to vote for the winners. The response was phenomenal and the votes in each category were close! If you would like to see who wins the awards, be sure to reserve your space by calling the Chamber at 295-7851 by Feb. 6.
The following is a list of the nominees:
1. United Community Bank Award for Commercial Renovation or New Construction is given in recognition of the outstanding new building or to the outstanding renovation of a business space completed in 2014.
• Blue Ridge Mountain Club Sales Office
• Mellow Mushroom
• Southern Comforts
2. Renaissance II Productions Award for Cultural Enrichment is given to the member business or organization that has made a significant cultural contribution to our community for the year 2014. This includes installation, development or production of visual or performing arts, a literary or written contribution, or for the development or preservation of an artifact, place, event, cuisine, garden, or way of life of historical or social importance to Blowing Rock.
• The Blowing Rock Attraction
• The Blowing Rocket Newspaper
• The Blowing Rock Memorial Park Story Walk
3. The Blue Ridge Mountain Club Award for Service to Community is given to the member business or organization which makes positive contributions to the Blowing Rock Community through volunteerism, philanthropy, or community service. Nominees will have made a measurable impact toward the improvement of an issue of importance to the Blowing Rock Community.
• John Aldridge and Jim Pitts for the Gateway Project Plans
• Ron Cutlip for the Blowing Rock School Playground
• Steven Price for the Memorial Park Gazebo Plans
4. Lowe”s Winter Wonderland Lighting Award is given to the business with the best lighting/winter themed décor during the new festive lighting period after the New Year created by the Blowing Rock Chamber.
• Chetola Resort
• Cliff Dwellers Inn
• Memorial Park – Town of Blowing Rock
5. First Citizens Bank Jerry Burns Ambassadorial Award celebrates the enthusiasm of Blowing Rock’s most ardent supporter. This award will be presented to an individual who gives selflessly to Blowing Rock with no thought for personal gain thus exemplifying the ambassadorial spirit of the late Jerry Burns.
• Lynn Lawrence
• Ginny Stevens
• Cullie Tarleton
6. The Blowing Rock Chamber of Commerce Business of the Year excels in areas of community involvement, business promotion, and teamwork. The Business of the Year will reflect the best of Blowing Rock, demonstrating high ethical standards and community spirit in accordance with the mission of the Blowing Rock Chamber of Commerce.
• Blue Ridge Mountain Club
• VPC Builders
• Woodlands Barbeque
In addition to these awards, the Chamber’s Customer Service Star winners for 2014 will be recognized. The Chamber will also identify a truly helpful person who has gone above-and-beyond to volunteer for Chamber activities and events in 2014 as Volunteer of the Year. There will also be two Special Recognition awards – one will be given to a local business for their exceptional economic impact on Blowing Rock while the second will be presented to an outstanding citizen of Blowing Rock.