Compiled by Greg Hince
Aug. 1, 2012. On Friday, Aug. 3, downtown Boone businesses will participate in the monthly First Friday Art Crawl. Per usual, this month’s installment will feature free food, drinks, and music along with work and exhibitions from local artists. And as always, locals and tourists young and old are invited to attend and enjoy the Friday night fun.
Where to go:
ASU Turchin Center for the Visual Arts
423 W. King St.
5 to 9 p.m.
• Extended hours; transitioning from galleries in mid-August with new exhibitions to open in September
• On-going exhibitions include: International Focus Exhibition with 21 Sztuka : Contemporary Art from Poland I-V, The North Exposed: Inuit Art and others in the West Wing and Main Galleries
• The 26th Rosen Outdoor Sculpture Competition & Exhibition, part of the Appalachian Summer Festival, is ongoing through April and showcases the best in contemporary American sculpture
432 W. King St.
6 to 8 p.m.
• Free beer and wine tasting, with a 10% discount offered on a sample of local beers
• Free pizza from Capone’s Pizza and Bar
549 W. King St.
• Sale on new shoes and clothes for the summer
• Refreshments from 6pm-8:30
• Paintings/art for donation for the IJM and The Hundred Movement from various artists
• Jewelry by Huong…straight from Vietnam. Huong will string pearls by request and have many treasures from this beautiful country
553 W. King St.
5 to 10 p.m.
• First Friday Spirit Fair
• Various poetry readers all night
Doc Ridge Pottery
585 W. King St. #D
5:30 p.m. until …
• Featured artist Connie Cox will showcase her handworked thrown pieces, which include sculptures of surface faces and full female figures, vases, bowls, and impressed leaves
• Cox, a baker by trade, will provide refreshments and snacks including casseroles, homemade salsa, wine and cheese
•Owner Bob Meier will also be displaying his work
Jones House Community Center
604 W. King St.
5 to 9 p.m.
• Steve Kruger and Doug Sharkey & Crooked Road Rambers & Sheets Family at 7:30 p.m.; Bring your own chair or blanket
•Jones House Gallery Reception from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.
•Downstairs Gallery: John Latimer; Upstairs Gallery: Brad Douglass Photography, Pegge Laine, Tunde Afolayan, Kim Abernethy Fine Art and Lisa Pepper
641 W. King St.
7 p.m. until…
• Free face painting from local artist Claire Bilbao (tips encouraged)
• Food from Char / Wine from Glug
•Dance for your discount and get 10% off total purchase
The Nth˚ Gallery & Studios
683 W. King St.
7:30 to 10 p.m.
• Exhibition of Nth member work
693 W. King St.
6:30 to 9 p.m.
• Photography by Robinson Payne
747 W. King St.
• Hybrid performance from two Boone band BPL and The Native Sway, collectively known as Native L
Watauga Arts Council
798 W. King St.
6:30 to 9 p.m.
• August 3rd gallery reception featuring a juried exhibition from the High Country Watermedia Society volunteers
179 Howard St.
5 p.m. until…
• Buy one, get one appetizers and $5 glasses of house wine
• Local art in a sleek, modern bar setting from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
• TVs showing non-stop coverage of the Olympics
The Art of Oil
222 Howard St.
5:30 to 9 p.m.
• Special Wine Tasting that will include oil and vinegar pairings 5:30 – 8:30p.m.
267 Howard St.
• $2 off all glasses of wine and $1 off beer