By Jessica Isaacs
Ready for some holiday cheer but don’t want to unpack all of those lights and ornaments? Purchase a fully decorated, uniquely personal tree for your home this year at the second annual Festival of Trees, Dec. 1-4 at Chetola Resort in Blowing Rock.
Holiday magic will surely abound at this year’s festival, for which a large number of local folks and groups are now busy creating custom trees decorated with fun themes. Their masterpieces will deck the halls of Chetola’s Appalachian/Blue Ridge Room, where guests from all over will be able to stroll through and enjoy the creations. All trees, as well as many decorated wreaths, will be sold via online auction or a simple buy-it-now feature, and all proceeds (as well as donations for admission) will directly support the Western Youth Network.
WYN is a local nonprofit agency established in 1985 that aims to “build youth of character and confidence so that every young person in the High Country reaches their full potential” and envisions “a community in which every child, regardless of their circumstances, thrives.”
“WYN recognizes a simple truth — growing up is hard, especially during those pivotal years from fifth through 10th grades. WYN invests in the lives of children and youth in order to build a better future and a stronger community for the High Country,” its website reads. “We truly are ‘raising a community,’ and we do this by providing unique and quality programming that offers individualized support to over 200 children and youth each year in our Mentoring and After School Initiatives alone.”
Festival hours will include:
- Thursday, Dec. 1, 6:30-9 p.m.
- Friday, Dec. 2, noon to 9 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 3, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 4, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Event sponsors include Chetola Resort, Watauga County Christmas Tree Association, VPC Builders and Phi Gamma Delta.
Festival related events will include:
- Festival “First Look” Reception: Thursday, Dec. 1, 5-6:30 p.m.
- Young Professionals Holiday Social: Thursday, Dec. 1, 6-9 p.m.
- Carolina Snowbelles Performance: Friday, Dec. 2, 8 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.
- Kid’s Dinner Special: Friday, Dec. 2, 5-9 p.m. and Saturday, Dec. 3, 5-8 p.m.
- Festival Breakfast: Saturday, Dec. 3, 7:30-10:30 a.m.
- Sugar Plum Fairy Visit: Saturday, Dec. 3, 2-4 p.m.
- Festival of Lights: Nightly display at sunset on the grounds of Chetola
For more information, visit fotwyn.wixsite.com/blowingrock or call Chetola Resort at 828-295-5500.
How to bid online:
Register now at 32auctions.com by following the instructions below:
- 32auctions.com sign up instructions for first time users:
- Click the Login button in the upper right corner on the site
- Click on Create an account now
- Fill out the requested information on the page and click Create account
32auctions.com login instructions for returning users:
- Click the Login button in the upper right corner of the site
- Enter your email address and password
- Click the Login button
- Click the link for the auction on your My Auctions page
Whether you’re in the market for a tree or just want to enjoy the festive spirit of the holidays, head over to Chetola this weekend and check out trees designed by:
- A-1 Vacuums
- Arbonne International- Christy Poole
- ASU leadership students
- Beth Holcomb & Mandy Robertson
- Blowing Rock Chamber of Commerce
- Boone Independent Restaurant Association
- Cheap Joe’s Art Stuff
- Corrinne Loucks / Keller Williams High Country Realty / Center Staged Homes
- Footsloggers of Blowing Rock
- Footsloggers Outdoors of Boone
- Friends of University Housing
- Gamekeeper Restaurant
- Gamma Beta Phi
- Harris Family
- High Country Grizzlies
- Jenny Koehn & Jim Street
- Log House Florist
- Misfit Toys
- Panoramic Hospitality
- Regeneration Church
- Reid’s Cafe and Catering
- Sarah B. Long Real Estate- Keller Williams
- The Brass Exchange
- White Fence Farm Rentals
- Women’s Fund of the Blue Ridge