By Jesse Wood
July 30, 2012. Visitation for Deputy William Mast takes place Monday, July 30, 6 to 9 p.m. at Mount Vernon Baptist Church, 3505 Bamboo Road.
The funeral takes place on Tuesday, July 31, at 2:00 p.m. at Mount Vernon Baptist Church. Due to the high number of expected attendees, off-site parking for Mt. Vernon Church will be available at WJ Office City and First Presbyterian Church on Big Valley Street off Deerfield Road. Shuttle buses to and from the church will be provided.
The cemetery is located at the end of a very narrow road with very limited parking. The public will have to walk in approximately 1/3 of a mile and the terrain is very steep, according to Shane Robbins with Boone Police Department.
The North Carolina Highway Patrol Caisson Unit will provide transportation to the church and will take part in some of the procession route.
Following the funeral, the procession route will be:
• Bamboo Road from the church to US Hwy 421
• US Hwy 421 to NC 105 Extension/NC 105
• NC 105 to NC 105 Bypass (There will be a flag over the procession route on NC 105 near Ingles)
• NC 105 Bypass to US Hwy 421 N
• US Hwy 421 N to US 321 N (US 321 N will be closed at US 421 and Old 421 for the duration of the service at the cemetery)
Masonic Graveside Rites and burial with Law Enforcement Honors will follow at the Mast Family Cemetery.
See past article regarding shooting, includes words from his partner Preston Russell: