By Nikka Hronis
March 4, 2014. Every year the coming of March brings many reasons for celebration, from the start of spring to March Madness. But make room after your seasonal Shamrock Shake because March is Red Cross Month and there’s much to celebrate.
Recognizing and celebrating heroes of the Red Cross who reach out to serve in their communities, Red Cross Month is an annual proclamation that began in 1943 with President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Continuing today, 70 years later, Red Cross Month celebrates folks who sign up to be volunteers, but end up being heroes. From disaster relief to CPR training, no hero goes unappreciated.
“This month, we honor men and women who deliver relief to communities around the world, and we renew the compassionate spirit that continues to keep our country strong and our people safe,” stated President Obama in last years Red Cross Presidential Proclamation.
According to the American Red Cross, the organization responds to nearly 70,000 disasters per year in the U.S., collects and distributes approximately 40 percent of the nation’s blood supply, provides 24-hour support to members of the military, veterans and their families; as well as training millions of people in first aid, water safety and other life-saving skills every year. As a nationwide nonprofit, the Red Cross relies heavily on the public’s contributions of time, blood and money to support its many programs.
The High Country’s Blue Ridge Chapter, covering Alleghany, Ashe, Avery, Watauga and Wilkes counties, assisted more than 200 people dealing with local disasters and emergencies, assisted more than 261 military family members and trained 2,032 people in lifesaving skills.
March is also a great time to join in the Red Cross’s mission by signing up for classes, giving blood or making a financial donation. With multiple blood drives scattered across the High Country this month, don’t miss your chance to make a difference at any of the following locations:
- Hosted by: Optimist Club
- Location: Holiday Inn Express Boone- 1943 Blowing Rock Rd in Boone
- Time: 1:30 P.M.- 6:00 P.M.
- Hosted by: Watauga High School
- Location: Watauga High School- 300 Go Pioneers Dr in Boone
- Time: 7:00 A.M. – 12:30 P.M.
- Hosted by: Mountain City Community
- Location: Johnson County EMS Rescue- 203 Vandilla St. in Mountain City
- Time: 1:00 PM – 5:30 PM
- Hosted by: Cannon Memorial Hospital
- Location: Cannon Memorial Hospital- 434 Hospital Dr in Linville
- Time: 1:30 P.M. – 6:00 P.M.
- Hosted by: Ashe Community
- Location: National Guard Armory Main Jefferson- 1147 Old Highway 16 in Jefferson
- Time: 11:00 AM – 3:30 PM
- Hosted by: Proffit’s Grove Baptist Church
- Location: Proffit’s Grove Baptist Church- 3200 Meat Camp Dr
- Time: 1:00 P.M. – 5:30 P.M.
- Hosted by: Ashe County High School
- Location: Ashe County High School- 184 Campus Dr in West Jefferson
- Time: 8:30 A.M. – 1:30 P.M.